Africa Choice

Click On The REGISTER Button Below To Sign Up For FREE!

A DISMISSED POLICE SERGEANT IN RIVERS STATE, SENTENCED TO DEATH FOR SHOOTING A COMMERCIAL DRIVER TO DEATH OVER HIS REFUSAL TO GIVE 100 NAIRA BRIBE

Harnie Gold

Screenshot_2022-06-30-09-02-18-64.jpg

Dismissed police sergeant, James Imhalu have been sentenced to death by hanging by Justice Elsie Thompson of a High Court in Port Harcourt, Rivers State for the killing of a commercial bus driver, Legbara David at wimpey Junction mile 4 area of the State in 2015 over his refusal to give a bribe of N100.

Justice Thompson who described sergeant Imhalu as a serial trigger-happy policeman while delivering her judgement, said that the evidence before the court, proved that the sacked Sergeant intentionally fired a shot at Legbara David the deceased commercial driver.

While the prosecution team, Kingsley Briggs, thanked God for Justice served, he said:

“We thank God that today judgement has been given. Although the will of justice grinds slowly, but surely justice will come.

“For the family of those that lost their loved one and their breadwinner, it is quite unfortunate, But, I believe this judgement will serve as a succour to the family.

“He will be taken to the correctional centre and then to His Excellency. If His Excellency signs and gives the order, he will be executed accordingly."

The representative of the legal aid council in Rivers State, Mr Awaji who defended sergeant Imhalu, said they would study the judgement to know the next line of action.

“We came into the matter at the point of defense. The state has called all the numerous witnesses. Today’s judgement, I will say, is justice for the people of Rivers State.

“Despite the fact that I represented the defendant, my analysis of the case when I came into the matter, I would say, I saw it coming.

“Having listened to the judgement, currently there is no plan to go on appeal. But by the time we look at the judgement in-depth. perhaps we will be able to find grounds for appeal.

However, he said there was no plan to appeal the case.

“But as it is, there is no plan to go on appeal."