Africa Choice

Click On The REGISTER Button Below To Sign Up For FREE!

The Ten Commandments.

mrwil65

When I think about the countless times I've watched the 1956 movie " The Ten Commandments" starring Charleton Heston, Yul Brenner plus a wide cast of Characters, I think about the many Commandments in our Bible. Yes, I loved the movie, but I really wanted to focus more in the Bible where you would get the actual "full meal deal." Upon studying this for my first time plus sharing this with you my family. There is also 12 lessons from the life of Moses upon to which I studied and will bring you every week as well. I started off noticing that there are at least 613 Commandments. Plus there are laws that we can't add up in total, in this world we live in. However, I wanted to get into the meat of this subject about the Ten Commandments that we are so familiar with. In the book of Exodus Chapter 20. God, our Father took his finger and etched 10 laws in 2 stones we all know as tablets. I'm going to share out of the NASB because I love the detail (version) it gives very plainly. But first, I want you to think about this question. How many commandments have you broken? Well, its really very clear as I mentioned to someone via phone conversation that we all broke a few, or all. However, I think about how many times Jesus did not break one commandment. If you think you didnt break any, then my friend, you have a new Worlds record. We're not perfect, only Jesus is perfect. This is why the World is in such a huge mess, and we face consequences daily.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1 Then God spoke all these words, saying,

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not worship them nor serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, inflicting the punishment of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,

6 but showing favor to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 For six days you shall labor and do all your work,

10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God; on it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male slave or your female slave, or your cattle, or your resident who stays with you.

11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be prolonged on the land which the Lord your God gives you.

13 “You shall not murder.

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

15 “You shall not steal.

16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male slave, or his female slave, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

18 And all the people were watching and hearing the thunder and the lightning flashes, and the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it all, they trembled and stood at a distance.

19 Then they said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen; but do not have God speak to us, or we will die!”

20 However, Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you will not sin.”

21 So the people stood at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

22 Then the Lord said to Moses, “This is what you shall say to the sons of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen that I have spoken to you from heaven.

23 You shall not make other gods besides Me; gods of silver or gods of gold, you shall not make for yourselves. 24 You shall make an altar of earth for Me, and you shall sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen; in every place where I cause My name to be remembered, I will come to you and bless you. 25 And if you make an altar of stone for Me, you shall not build it of cut stones, for if you wield your chisel on it, you will profane it. 26 And you shall not go up by steps to My altar, so that your nakedness will not be exposed on it.’

In verses 20:1-2, God makes his instruction very clear. However, sometimes people don't like His commands so they ask, "What does that really mean?" They want to rationalize their actions, redefining what God says so that they can conceal what they are doing or make their sin acceptable. This is not a problem understanding God's Word; this is a problem understanding God's authority. In Psalms 103:19 it reads, "The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all." The Lord is omniscient (knows all things), omnipotent (all-powerful), omnipresent (always with you), and He loves you perfectly. This means that He can and will arrange every circumstance of your life to work out for your good. We cannot pick and choose which commands to obey. Rather, we submit to His will, because He is God and we are not. Also, in verse 3, The first commandment is first for a reason. God must be first in everything we do because intimacy with God is His highest priority for our lives. We are to honor God above everything else that exists, treat His name reverently, and set Him as our ultimate authority - as the only One with the right to influence and teach us. But I would like to get into the meat of this subject. Someone asked me a while back, "What place should money take in my life?" On my way home, I thought to myself, it's all about the money. Then I realized what God says in The Ten Commandments about this In Exodus 20:2-6. For some people, money is central. They worship wealth, which means that they devote most of their time, energy, and attention to its gain and use because they regard it as the key to power and prestige. "Oh, I'd never worship the idol of affluence," you may say. But ask yourself these questions.

1) How much time do I spend everyday thinking about my financial life? - my income, my bills, my past and upcoming purchases, and my investments? In comparison, how much time do I spend meditating on God's Word?

2) How much do I spend every week working, shopping, or dealing with money? (Be sure to include trips to automatic teller machines and the bank, discussions with your spouse about budgets or spending plans and habits, and the time you spend paying bills and balancing your checking account.) In comparison, how much time do I spend seeking God in prayer and Bible reading, or serving the Lord in church-related activities and outreach?

3) Am I more likely to discuss with my family and friends a hot stock tip, the cost of an item, and a new business opportunity - or an insight I have into God's Word, the truths I gleaned from last Sunday's sermon, and the way in which the Holy Spirit has helped me during the day? Which topic is more likely to attract a greater amount of my energy, enthusiasm, or concern - more wealth or a deeper understanding of the Savior? You may say that you trust God in every area of your life - but do you ever conduct business transactions, make purchases and investments, and enter into moneymaking opportunities without asking His opinion or seeking His wisdom? When you leave the Lord out of your financial life, you are in grave danger of making money your idol. And I've done that way too many times over the years without thinking. So how can you make sure you don't fall into such a deadly trap? You could begin by focusing on Philippians 4:19 where God promises to supply all your needs. Lets focus on that a little bit.

19 "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Paul had experienced God's glorious provision through the believers in Philippi, and he assured the church that the Lord was going to bless them for their generosity. Sometimes believers fails to give what God calls them to because they are afraid they will not have enough for themselves. We can never outgive the Lord. Be confident that He can and will meet every need that you have - especially as you are following Him in obedience. However, people seldom ask, "Will God really meet all my needs?" Have you ever pondered the real meaning of Philippians 4:19? If so, then you may also have encountered some frustration. "What about this need I have had for years?" you wonder. "Doesn't God care about that aching hole in my heart? Why doesn't He just fill by meeting my needs automatically?" The truth is, God wants us to trust Him and not look only for the blessing. In other words, keep our focus on the right thing, which is a personal relationship with the Savior. Circumstances have little to do with lasting joy. Peace, joy and contentment come from knowing God and having a personal relationship with Him. The only way to be fully happy is to have a heart that is set on Jesus Christ. Then when difficulty comes, we won't feel lost, confused, or disillusioned. Many people attempt to meet their own needs apart from God. But this never works. It only leads to frustration and deep disappointment. There will be times when we wonder if He hears our prayers. He always does. And He also is the only One who can answer correctly and satisfy the desires of our hearts. So why do we struggle? Usually, it is because we think we know better than God. We fail to realize we Cannot meet our own needs or compel Him to comply with our personal desires, schedules, or concepts of how we think something should be done.

• Wow
Reactions: Joe

Joe

And I say if we can keep a half of the Ten Commandment the world be far a better place for all.