Africa Choice

Click On The REGISTER Button Below To Sign Up For FREE!

I’ll become a grandfather next year, Will Give All My Wealth To The Poor. Bill Gates

Joe

I’ll become a grandfather next year, Will Give All My Wealth To The Poor. Bill Gates

Am working day and night for the future our grandchildren deserve. Yes, times are hard. But I still believe we can make the world better for the next generation, for the future of today's Children and grandchildren to come

My daughter just announced to me that too soon, by next year I will be a Grand Father, as I turned 67 in October. It’s hard to believe I’m that old, in America, most people my age are retired!

But I won’t be slowing down anytime soon. I’m still going full speed on the project I began more than two decades ago, which is to give the vast majority of my resources back to society.

Although I don’t care where I rank on the list of the world’s richest people, I do know that as I succeed in giving, I will drop down and eventually off the list altogether.

I’ve always viewed my philanthropy as a way to help reduce the awful inequities I see around the world. I also feel a responsibility to give my wealth back to the society that made me, in ways that do the most good for the most people.

But I started looking at the world through a new lens recently—when my older daughter gave me the incredible news that I’ll become a grandfather next year, I was so glad the joy of becoming a grandfather gave me a new level of thought

Simply typing that phrase, “I’ll become a grandfather next year,” makes me emotional. And the thought gives a new dimension to my work. That when I think about the world my grandchild will be born into, I’m more inspired than ever to help everyone’s children and grandchildren have a chance to survive and thrive.

I-will-become-a-grandfather-next-year-Will-Give-All-My-Wealth-To-The-Poor-Bill-Gates.jpg

This is a long-term project that requires patience; in the effort to make the world more equitable, success is measured in years and decades. Maybe age makes it easier to understand this. When I was in my twenties, I didn’t think that anyone my grandparents’ age had anything useful to offer the world at large. As I get older, though, I see how wrong I was.

I do almost all of my work through the Gates Foundation, though most of my efforts on climate and clean energy are housed at Breakthrough Energy and I fund research on Alzheimer’s disease separately.

Global health is a major focus for the foundation because it’s the worst inequity on the planet and it’s a solvable problem. More than two decades ago, Melinda and I were shocked to learn how little money and effort were put into saving the lives of children in poor countries, and we thought the world should do more.

The world has been doing more—and it shows. Since 2000, when the foundation began, the childhood death rate has been cut by half.

Tragically, recent events are slowing and even reversing this progress. The COVID-19 pandemic caused millions of deaths and severely hampered efforts to immunize children.

Followed by Russia’s war on Ukraine is inflicting terrible suffering in Eastern Europe and driving up food and energy prices around the world. Rich countries are cutting foreign aid, partly because they need to spend more on the military, electricity subsidies, and support for refugees displaced by the war.

Inflation is rising and economic growth is slowing. Climate change is leading to more frequent extreme weather. And in the United States, our politics are more polarized than ever. In my lifetime, the only other period that felt this turbulent was the 1960s.

This thread was called from Bill Gates Notes. Read the Full version Here