Africa Choice

Click On The REGISTER Button Below To Sign Up For FREE!

6 Dead 80 Injured In Lagos Nigeria Train And BRT Bus Accident

6 Dead 80 Injured In Lagos Nigeria Train And BRT Bus Accident

Sadly about 6 people have been confirmed dead while 80+ injured as a result of the Lagos Nigeria Train and BRT Bus accident that occurred in the early hours of today, March 9, 2023

The Federal Government of Nigeria has directed the Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) experts to commence an immediate investigation into the early morning Thursday accident

Which involved a moving train operated by the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) ramming into a Lagos State Government staff bus at Shogunle and Ikeja, the axis of the state, killing at least six confirmed persons, while 80 sustained various degrees of injuries.

The ill-fated bus with Lagos registration number; 04A- 48LA, number 33, was heading to Alausa, Ikeja from Isolo, and in the process of beating other motorists at the PWD rail crossing, Shogunle, collided with an oncoming train.

Both the bus and train were carrying several passengers, while the majority of the bus passengers civil servants, and some dependants. Two persons died on the spot while four others died in the hospital. There were 42 moderately-injured persons, 29 serious injuries, and eight mild injuries.

So far at the time of writing this report about 25 persons have been treated and transferred to Gbagada General Hospital, Agege General Hospital, and the trauma center at the toll gate.

While Nigeria Government has commiserated with the Lagos State government, residents, and especially, those who have lost their loved ones, on the sad event, and prayed for the quick recovery of those injured in the accident.

Meanwhile, Lagos State Governor, Babjide Sanwo-Olu, in a swift response, expressed deep shock and sorrow over the unfortunate incident, and later, declared a three-day mourning and directed flags to fly at half-mast and civil servants to work half day tomorrow (Friday).

Speaking at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, when he visited to assess the situation and commiserated with victims, also canceled all public engagements and campaigns.

Sanwo-Olu said: “I am deeply saddened by the news of the accident. The vehicle was conveying staff of the Lagos State Government, our staff who serve the state in different capacities is a sad moment for us all

Please “let’s say a prayer for the families and a prayer of mercy and protection for our state. “My thoughts are with the victims and their families during this difficult time.”

“This is a very sober time for us as a government, and while we acknowledge God as the giver of life, the one who determines every man’s destiny, it saddens us when we have incidents like this.

“The fatal accident happened at the rail crossing around PWD in the Shogunle area. I believe they were coming from the express and needed a right turn, and wanted to drag over the rail.

“It is not yet clear what happened, but it seems like a wrong judgment by the driver. I also learned he has turned himself in to the police, so investigations will determine what went wrong. We would also reach out to the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) to give their account of what transpired so we can have full information.

“We haven’t informed any family members yet because these are civil servants that were going to work so we cannot begin to disclose names until when families have been contacted.

“Of the number of injured persons, 25 were treated very quickly and transferred to the Gbagada General Hospital, Agege General Hospital, and the trauma center at the toll gate so this place can be decongested and proper profiling of injuries can be done.

6-Dead-80-Injured-In-Lagos-Nigeria-Train-And-BRT-Bus-Accident.jpg

“There will be a half day of work tomorrow (today) so we can jointly mourn our staff, and our loved ones and the dead can be buried. Flags will also fly at half mast for the next three days, and we are also declaring a three-day state mourning for the deceased.”

Sanwo-Olu, commended residents who assisted the first responders in the search and rescue operation, saying the true spirit of Lagos must be sustained at all times.

He commended the first responders, LASUTH and LASUCOM staff, and security agencies for their prompt response.

“A big thank you to well-meaning Lagosians who immediately joined in rescue efforts. Our first responders and emergency services are on the ground and we will share more information shortly,” he said.

Sanmwo-Olu also hails Jandor, Rhodes-Vivoour the Labour party gubernatorial candidate for visiting victims, also commended candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Jide Adeniran for visiting and commiserating with the families, saying

It is important to thank two of my other competitors – Mr. Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour and Mr. Olajide Adeniran, who I learned was here earlier, for their show of commitment beyond politics. I thank them for coming here.” and thanks to all Lagosians. Read more Africa Thread Here and Sign Up to worldforumLIVE.com all for free